What is Power Performance?
What is Power Performance?
Inner Act Power Performance Training is a system designed to help you unlock the barriers that keep you from achieving your fullest potential. Through the training, you learn to acquire, rehearse, and perform your skill or talent at a heightened level, consistently over time. The Inner Act program will teach you how to manage anxiety, disregard distractions, stay focused, think clearly, and remain calm even under the most stressful conditions.
People who have benefited from the Inner Act program include:
- High achieving students and scholars
- Gifted children and teens
- Elite, professional and young athletes
- Young and professional performers
- Vocalists and musicians
- Actors and dancers
- Visual artists and writers
- Business professionals
- Retirees wishing to live a more relaxed and fulfilling life
- Anyone wishing to gain more balance and mastery over their lives
Getting Started with the Inner Act Program
Renowned Opera Singer John Cheek as General Boum in The Grand Duchess
Every client that comes to Inner Act receives a program plan that is customized to his or her specific needs and goals. Our programs are flexible, ranging from intensives lasting a week or two to weekly sessions over an extended period of time.
On your first visit, Rae Tattenbaum will interview you to learn about your needs, concerns and goals. Prior assessments and diagnoses are considered at this time. We then use a decision tree to identify our approach. Based on the chosen protocol, we then select the appropriate Biofeedback and Neurofeedback instruments and learning methods.
The core modalities of Inner Act's Program:
The Relaxation Process teaches you to enter and hold at will a relaxed state of readiness.
Open Focus® teaches flexibility of attention, reinforces your ability to enter a state of readiness while inhibiting self judgment and inner dialogue. Click here to hear an excerpt of Open Focus.
Neurofeedback Training teaches you to regulate your thoughts, attention and energy. You learn to recognize when you are drifting, overwhelmed in thought, over analyzing and stuck and gain the ability to return yourself to a balanced state at will.
Inner Journey Work teaches you how to transform negative thinking, inner commentary and failures into success using cognitive and experiential techniques.
Mental Imagery Every high achieving person imagines their achievements before they happen. Through Mental Imagery, you learn how to enter a relaxed state, narrow your focus, and hold the desired imagery in your mind's eye.
One-on-One Coaching Each person's challenges are different. Once you have the basics the program in place, we work one-on-one to optimize and solidify your long-term success. The coaching helps you remain consistent in your “presence" during performance, and to track your pre-, during- and post-performance use of the program's tools.
High Achieving Students and Scholars
Studies have shown that mental preparation and self-confidence are important to academic performance for factors such as skill, creativity, and reduction of anxiety. The Inner Act program will help you improve your “inner game" – the relationship between your inner state and your performance ability – and achieve better performance in academics and testing.
Some of the benefits you receive through Inner Act's Power Performance training include:
- Significantly higher SAT and tests scores
- Increased overall academic performance
- The ability to learn more, learn faster and retain what is learned
- Greater calmness during study and more effective study habits
- Better sleep habits and sounder sleep
"I had taken the SATs previously before I met you and found that it was very difficult to concentrate for such an extended period of time. After working with you, I took them one last time and found that I was able to concentrate better, had less anxiety and frustrations, and much more confidence going in and walking out of the test center. My scores even went up! I was much more attentive in my class lectures and much more involved with class discussions. Being a high school senior, this helped me get into college. My grades are the highest they have ever been. I finally made the high honor roll!
“The best part is that I came to you to prepare for my college auditions and I am CONVINCED that because of my work with you, I was accepted into my top two schools. Both of them were fairly difficult academically as well as artistically to get into. Getting in was such an amazing relief and a wonderful feeling."
Gifted Children and Teens
Inner Act's Power Performance Training for gifted children and teens focuses on helping them to become even more comfortable and competent with their talents. At Inner Act, we have worked with many gifted children and the results are always a child with greater flexibility, more confidence, and more emotional resilience.
Gifted children and teens who take Power Performance Training gain these benefits:
- Ability to move from one task to the next
- Flexibility to move from complete absorption in one area to a wider focus
- Improved performance in the area of expertise
- Better management of emotional tone
- Increased awareness of themselves and the people around them
- Ability to change state from high achievement to relaxation
- Ability to create verbal, visual and emotional scripts and internal movies of success
- Highly intuitive children and teens are helped to establish boundaries, discrimination and better attentional control
Elite, Professional and Young Athletes
Much has been written about the "inner game" or "mental game" - the relationship between your inner state and your performance ability. Sports performance psychology and sports psychotherapy are becoming an integral part of professional sports. Studies have shown that mental preparation and self-confidence are as important to performance as the "external" training for skill and endurance. However, where does the athlete learn this mental toughness? Experts agree the new frontier in sports performance is in training the mental aspects of the game through technology. As Tim Keown of ESPN states, “Mental speed is not only preferable in sports, it's essential. Physical gifts aren't enough."
The Inner Act Power Performance program eliminates the mental and neurological barriers to performance by improving your ability to regulate your attention, screen out distraction, and enhance your natural abilities. This approach has been shown to be highly effective in golf, soccer, tennis, basketball, and baseball, and from school athletics to professional sports.
Athletes who take the Power Performance Training achieve these results:
- Improved regulation of attention and arousal
- Improved ability to manage distractions
- Faster ability to overcome unsuccessful competition
- Reduction of internal mental chatter
- More focused ability to learn and practice a skill
- Better energy management during intense training and competition
- More consistent routines and rituals
- Better at crafting mental blueprints of skill and competition
- More consistent mood management
- College-bound athletes gain mastery over their sport and win athletic scholarships
"Many athletes have been encouraged to visualize and mentally rehearse. At Inner Act, we have found that this technique is not always done correctly - the visualization becomes mental rumination, which is not helpful.
“Once you have done Neurofeedback training and subsequently create a mental model using the Inner Act system, when you visualize yourself swinging a golf club, running, hitting, serving, the image is similar to a moving picture.
“The combination of Neurofeedback and a mental rehearsal process will allow you to be present in the moment. You learn to tell your body how to move muscles and breathe and to be strong, and by doing this you create a mental blueprint that impacts the performance. This routine will be utilized during workouts, practice and competition." — Rae Tattenbaum
Click to view a Wall Street Journal article "Getting Your Head in the Game":
Getting Your Head in the Game, Part 1 - 3.2 Mb
Getting Your Head in the Game, Part 2 - .7 Mb
Note: these files require the Adobe Acrobat reader. If you don't have this installed on your computer, you'll need to download and install it at www.adobe.com
Young & Professional Performers
In 1996, Rae Tattenbaum, the founder and president of Inner Act, became the pioneering and leading practitioner to use information technology to train singers. She recognized that Neurofeedback enabled performing artists to be completely present during lessons, rehearsals and performance.
Since then, Rae has gone on to train performers of all types, ages, and levels of accomplishment for performance and audition. Among them are Metropolitan Opera singers, middle and high school students, Broadway and developing singers, musicians, actors, dancers, and emerging and professional artists.
Our research at the 2000 session of Intermezzo, an opera program for working singers, indicated that vocalists experienced a clear change in their voice from Inner Act training. The spectral analysis of selected participants showed that the harmonics were clearer and more balanced, which would indicate a more focused and controlled voice. Singers gain increased range and vocal power and achieved rounder, purer tones and a stronger stage presence. Inner Act allows singers to discover the ability to enter a non-critical state so that their performance is alive and emotionally rich.
As a vocalist, you can expect these benefits:
- Improved vocal clarity
- More resonance
- More endurance
- Ease in production
- Remain fully present and attentive throughout your performance
- The ability to develop a pre-performance mental strategy
- Maintaining focus during intervals
- More responsive to criticism
- More able to make corrections and technique changes
- More consistently able to manage your physiology, i.e. breathing, muscle tension, etc.
- The ability to focus on your singing without losing the musicality or emotional connection
Inner Act performance training teaches you to let your music become a vehicle for telling a story. We help you address performance anxiety, career issues, improvisation issues and physical tension. The outcome is that you gain greater mastery of technique, musical expression and more confidence before an audience. The program has been used by concert violinists, guitarist, cellists, pianists, trumpet players and saxophonists to improve performance.
EEG Biofeedback is also used in a controlled setting at the Royal Academy of Music in London, where participants have demonstrated improved attention and musicality.
By participating in this program you will:
- Be more attentive during performance
- Maintain attention and focus during non-playing intervals
- Be more responsive to criticism
- Make corrections and technique changes easily
- Be able to consistently manage your physiology, i.e. breathing and muscle tension
- Develop a pre-performance mental strategy
- Be able to attend to the conductor, colleagues, and your own playing without losing the musicality or emotional connection to the selection
Actors and Dancers
The Inner Act system enables talented actors and dancers to become even more comfortable and facile with their abilities. You learn to focus on the “inner game" – the relationship between your inner state and level of performance. You will gain mental preparation skills and increased self-confidence, both of which are proven to be as important to performance as external training for skill, endurance, creativity, and decreased performance anxiety.
As an actor or dancer, you will achieve:
- Improved success rate at auditions and increased number of call backs
- Increased attentiveness in class, rehearsals and performance
- Better responsiveness to criticism
- Greater ability to make corrections and respond to directors or choreographers and casting personnel's feedback and on-the-spot directions
- A physically more relaxed and flexible state
- Increased physical power and endurance
- Reduced trauma to the body
- Quick recovery from errors
- The ability to maintain attention and focus during non-performing intervals
- The capacity to remain fully present throughout the performance
- The ability to attend to the music, colleagues and their own performance without losing emotional connection to the piece
Visual Artists and Writers
Through the Inner Act program, artists and writers gain the freedom to allow the creative process to flow. The program will help you overcome creative blocks, negative self-talk, anxiety and tension. As a result, you will acquire greater mastery of technique, creative expression and self-confidence.
Artists and Writers gain these benefits:
- An aptitude for creating and holding the desired imagery or story in your mind's eye
- The capacity to maintain attention and focus for extended periods of time
- An aptitude for quieting the internal critic and being fully present in the moment
- The ability to focus on technical execution without losing artistic vision
- A more consistent, balanced flow of the creative process
- Reduced anxiety and stress
The "game" of business is very similar to professional athletics in terms of the level of preparation required, the level of stress experienced, and the importance of mastering your mental state. As with professional athletics, resilience and adaptability are critical to the "business athlete".
Studies show that mental preparation and self-confidence are as important to performance as your level of skill and training. In a recent Harvard Business Review article, Jim Loehr and Tony Schwartz found that business people can use modulated stress to grow progressively stronger and more resilient. In other words, when you learn to self-regulate your mind and relax at the appropriate times, you can use your stress to your advantage.
In addition, many business people find that the training allows them to maintain a clear, focused state which enhances their ability to perceive and act on ideas. The program also dramatically improves communication, presentation, negotiation, and strategic thinking skills.
The Inner Act approach provides business people with these benefits:
- Heightened focus and attention
- Reduced anxiety and the ability to “keep cool"
- Improved skills acquisition and retention
- Increased analytical and creative thinking skills
- Strengthened communication skills
- Improved Memory